Monday, July 23, 2012

No Yeast Pizza Bread / Pizza Dough



It'z pizza time!  After a weekend away, we had little to nothing in the fridge for dinner.  Hubby made a yummy tofu tomato egg swirl soup (I haven't learned how to make it yet) but we were still starving so I went online and found a recipe for yeast-less pizza dough! I changed it slightly but it gave me a great basis for the dough.  The consistency is like hybrid between pizza bread and pizza crust but I think it depends on how thinly you roll it and how long you leave it in the oven for.  As there is no yeast in this recipe, don't expect the crust to rise or have all the crusty bubbles that Panago pizza has :).

Lucky for us, my mother-in-law planted fresh mint and basil so I always have them at my disposal :)


I also scoured the fridge for anything I could use as a topping.  Here's what I had available for this recipe:

Ingredients:

Dough
- 2.5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cups of water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder

Toppings (Vegetarian because I had no meat at home :( )
- chopped red onions
- fresh cilantro
- fresh basil leaves
- 1 egg
- Canned tomato paste
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- black pepper

Directions:

1. Start by putting all of the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.  This would include the flour, baking powder, salt, oregano, thyme, and garlic powder


2. Add in the oil and water in the middle of the dry ingredients


3. Knead the dough with your hands until it forms into a ball.  The dough should not be sticky.  If it is too dry (and not forming), add a little bit of water at a time.


4. Prepare some counter top space to continue kneading the dough.  Make sure your counter top is CLEAN and slightly floured.







5. Continue kneading the dough until it's nice a doughy (that's a word right?) and roll it out with a rolling pin.  I actually divided my dough in half to bake two pizzas because I don't have a very big pan at home.  I also don't have a rolling pin so I used my trusty old Skyy Vodka bottle to do the rolling :) Another great use for vodka!
6. Arrange the toppings however you like


7. Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 mins on the lower rack, then take it out and add an egg in the middle.  Return the pan to the oven for another 10 mins to cook the egg. (I forgot to take pics of the first pizza, before and after egg, so here's some pics of my second pizza :))




8. ...and voilà! Oven fresh pizza straight out of your oven!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment